Ballet Schools & Academies
ALBERTA BALLET SCHOOL
Led by Artistic Principal Ashley McNeil, Alberta Ballet School is the official dance school of Alberta Ballet, providing students with exclusive mentoring, academic education and performance opportunities.
• Full-time dance and on-site academic training for students in grades 7-12 (Residence available)
• Pre-Professional Division programming for grades 5-6
• Dedicated Contemporary Dance Stream for grades 10-12
• Summer Intensive
• Financial assistance and scholarships available
• Professional Graduate Program: A two-year, full-time program for post-secondary students seeking additional training prior to company auditions, including the Alberta Ballet Trainee Program
• Teacher Training Program
• Intensive and recreational programming for ages 3-adult
• Summer School programming
THE SCHOOL OF TORONTO DANCE THEATRE
Artistic Director: Patricia Fraser
The School is passionately committed to training and education in the art of contemporary dance. Spend your day dancing with us!
Contemporary/Modern Summer Intensives
- Contemporary and Graham techniques, repertory/new creation
- Ages 12 and older
Professional Training Program
- Three year, full-time, post-secondary program
- Conservatory-style education with concentration on studio work
- Expert faculty, celebrated guest artists, extensive performing experience
- Joint program with York University can lead to B.F.A. in dance
Final Audition (for September 2019): July 13th, 2019
Auditions (for September 2020): February & July 2020
80 Winchester Street, Toronto ON M4X 1B2
416.967.6887 ext. 22 | email@example.com | www.schooloftdt.org
Artistic Director: Artemis Gordon, L.I.S.T.D. (C.S.B.)
Arts Umbrella Dance is a rigorous ballet-based program designed for dancers ages 6-22. At the leading edge of arts education, AUD works with an incredible faculty of dance artists—instructors in ballet, jazz, and contemporary dance at the fore of their fields. At higher levels, dancers also perform world-class choreography and rehearse with local and international guest artists. Our graduates go on to dance with some of the most prestigious companies around the world, and are known for their professionalism and integrity.
- Professional Training Program (Grade 8–12)*
- Afternoon Professional Training Program (Grade 8–12)
- Post-Secondary Program
- Post-Secondary Dance Diploma Program with Vancouver
- International Summer Dance Intensive (Grade 8–post-secondary)
* Dancers train during the day. To complete their high school courses, students must either be homeschooled or have their high school provide a half-day academic program for them.
BALLET BLOCH CANADA
North Vancouver, BC
Artistic Director: Tracy-Lea Bloch L.I.S.T.D. & Gyrotonic
Classical Ballet & Contemporary Training
Classical Ballet & Contemporary Dance
Professional Training & Performance School
- Pre-Ballet (3yrs+)
- Junior Ballet Division (7yrs+)
- Intermediate Professional Program (10yrs+)
- Advanced Professional Program (15yrs+)
- Aspirant Training Program (18yrs+)
- Half-Day training for high school students
- ISTD IMPERIAL Classical Ballet Examinations
- Provincial and International Competitions
- Contemporary Division Performances
- Youth Ballet Company Productions
- Summer Intensive 2019 (19-30 August)
Dancer Health: Injury Prevention & Performance Training
- Gyrotonic® Expansion System
- Yoga & Pilates Training
- Physiotherapy, Chiropractic & RMT Treatment
- Clinical Counselling
Ballet Bloch Youth Company Performances
- Alice in Wonderland (14-15 June 2019)
- The Nutcracker (13-14 Dec 2019)
CAMERON ACADEMY OF CLASSICAL DANCE
BEAUTIFUL HI-TECH STUDIO at 20215 62 Ave. Langley
Royal Academy of Dance Approved Venue (RAV)
Principals Deborah Cameron A.R.A.D. Lifetime member R.T.S. D.I.P.
Kelly Bennis RAD R.T.S.
“Teaching a love of dance that lasts a Lifetime” through
inspiration, encouragement and knowledgeable training by dedicated staff; mentoring students to achieve success professionally
or simply for recreational enjoyment.
Our dancers have proudly achieved Professional careers
Offering Hot water heated floors, 3 large studios with permanent Marley floors, home work room, beautiful amenities
- Specializing in Royal Academy of Dance Ballet – All Syllabi
- Twinkle Stars® Children’s program 2 yrs. up
- Contemporary/Modern, Jazz, Musical Theatre, Tap, Acro, Hip-Hop Lyrical and Master Class Workshops
- Professional Performances Coaching, Examinations,
- Summer: Children Theme Camps — Drop-in — Intensives (Aug)
CANADA’S NATIONAL BALLET SCHOOL
Mavis Staines, C.M., DHumL, Artistic Director & CEO
Established in 1959, Canada’s National Ballet School is a world leader in the training of professional ballet dancers and teachers. Dedicated to excellence, NBS staff are an international group of talented instructors who adhere to the highest standards in training and development of the students’ abilities.
Professional Ballet Program:
- Full-time dance training, academic education and residential care for students in Grades 6 through 12
- Full-time dance training for post-secondary students
Teacher Training Program:
- Recognized as a hallmark of excellence
- Prepares students for a successful dance teaching career
- Various programs available: one year certificate, three year diploma, two year diploma or one year certificate for professional dancers, five year joint diploma/degree with either Simon Fraser University or York University
- 100% of graduates employed upon completion of the program
- Opportunity to obtain Registered Teacher Status with the RAD; Associate teaching qualification with ISTD and/or Cecchetti Society
*NBS graduates are always in demand and can be found as dancers, choreographers, artistic directors and teachers in over 80 dance companies and schools around the globe.
- Associates Program: after school and weekend classes for children ages six to 17 years
- Adult ballet
- Professional Development for practising teachers
- Annual Teachers’ Ideas Exchange opportunity in July
CANADA’S ROYAL WINNIPEG BALLET SCHOOL
Stéphane Léonard, School Director
The RWB School has prepared thousands of dancers and dance teachers for meaningful employment in the profession. Alumni have gone on to exciting careers in all facets of the dance industry and currently make up 76% of the RWB Company and over half of the RWB School’s artistic faculty.
Full time Professional Division Programs:
- Ballet Academic (Ages 10+)
- Aspirant (Post-Secondary) Recognized by the University of Winnipeg
- Teacher Training (Post-Secondary) Recognized by the University of Winnipeg
- Summer Session (Phase II of Auditions for full time programs)
- Dance Intensive (No Auditions required. Ages 9-18)
- Teachers’ Summer Workshop (Professional Development)
CAUFIELD SCHOOL OF DANCE
Port Moody, BC
Internationally renowned performer, choreographer, and master teacher, Cori Caulfield, leads an expert and dedicated faculty.
Ballet and Commerical Half Day* (including instruction 1:30 to 4pm Monday to Friday) programs.
Standard and Professional* Training Divisions:
Ballet: R.A.D. Exam Preparation to Solo Seal, Progressing Ballet
Technique, etc. • Modern/Contemporary • Jazz/Lyrical • Tap • Hip Hop
Acrobatics • Musical Theatre • Voice • Acting
Choreography and Pedagogy
Provincial Titles: all Dance and Voice categories; International Titles: Prix du Lausanne, Y.A.G.P., W.B.A.C., V.I.B.E., etc.
Alumni: San Francisco Ballet Company, Josh Beamish’s MOVE: the company; TV (including “So You Think You Can Dance”
U.S. All-Star Alex Wong), Miami City Ballet, Broadway;
Ballet BC; Cirque du Soleil, etc.
Summer: Drop-in Classes in Ballet (3 levels) and Jazz; INTENSIVE WEEKS; etc.
Many performing opportunities.
* By audition and interview only. Half-day training optional.
CENTRAL DANCE ACADEMY FORMERLY FLORA PIGEAU DANCE ACADEMY
Artistic Director | Tyra Sergeant, R. T. S.
Celebrating 43 years of Excellence in Dance
Professional Training from Pre-School to Adult
- Specializing in the Royal Academy of Dance syllabus
- Ballet, Pointe & Repetoire, Modern, Contemporary, Lyrical, Jazz, Hiphop, ACRO and Conditioning
- Examinations, Competitions, Performances & Summer Training
- Home of B.C Provincial Representatives since 1987
#631-7789 134th Street , Surrey, BC V3W 9E9
Dance equipment is our business. We have been supplying ballet schools and dance studios across North America for over eighteen years! EnPointe is a leading manufacturer and distributor of
professional dance equipment including:
Ballet Barres Wall mount barres with brackets – open for ballet or closed brackets for fitness. We have freestanding or portable barres with carrying cases. We also manufacture floor mount brackets.
All barres are available in different lengths, colors and options.
Dance Flooring EnPointe is a distributor of the complete flooring line from StageStep. Contact us for all your flooring needs.
Glassless Mirrors Perfect reflection, extremely lightweight and no glass! You will be astounded by the high-quality reflection our glassless mirrors provide, allowing you, your students and dancers to perfectly see every move. We offer both wall mount and portable glassless mirrors.
We’d love to hear from you – contact us and follow us through our social media channels!
GOH BALLET ACADEMY CANADA
Vancouver & Toronto
Artistic Director | Chan Hon Goh
Achieve Excellence and Train with Confidence. With over 40 years of expertise in nurturing the development of dancers while raising cultural awareness in our communities through performance,
Goh Ballet is synonymous with excellence.
- Junior School
- Senior Professional School
- Goh Ballet Youth Company Canada
From early years programs through to dedicated professional programs, students are prepared for flourishing careers. Integrated programs and performances at every level, students access an innovative variety of choreographic styles and repertoire. Well-rounded
curriculum and progressive methods in Vaganova, & R.A.D. syllabi taught by internationally renowned faculty and guest instructors.
HARBOUR DANCE CENTRE (Downtown Vancouver)
Vancouver’s Premier Dance Facility for over 35 years.
Drop In Classes, Progressive Workshops
Intensive Training Program s in different styles of dance.
Teens and Adults, all levels Ages 16+
(see website for classes for Ages 14 and up)
INTENSIVE TRAINING PROGRAM Age 17 +
Directors: Pamela Rosa, Moe Brody, Sabine Clifford
INTENSIVE TRAINING PROGRAM (Ages 17 +)
Director: Moe Brody
Program runs from September to June each year.
25 hours per week, individual mentoring.
Intensive Dance Training, including Circus, Singing and Acting
Performance experience and technical training from highly Professional, talented and caring team to take you to the next Level.
See website for audition details.
Training programs specifically for Hip Hop and Street Styles also run September to June
ANNUAL SUMMER INTENSIVE:
Adult Summer Intensive (Ages 14-Adult)
Junior Summer Intensive (Ages 10-16)
Ballet, Contemporary, Hip Hop, Broadway, Tap, Jazz Tech & more.
Register on line at www.harbourdance.com
5 studios with sprung floors in a Beautiful Heritage Building
Rentals available for rehearsals
Private Functions (Group classes, Stagettes, Corporate
Over 120 classes per week to Drop into.
JOY OF MOVEMENT STUDIO-SUSIE GREEN WORKSHOPS
SUSIE GREEN is an internationally sought after dance artist, choreographer and educator-JOM’s workshops offer choreography, teaching, mentorship and professional dance development and performance development for ALL AGES – ALL LEVELS – ALL DISCIPLINES
*A two time Recipient of The Global Arts Awards (in 2002 & 2011) ”for outstanding contributions to global arts performance and arts education internationally”
*Recipient of the CANADA 125 MEDAL awarded for “significant contributions to fellow citizens, to their community and to Canada.”
Susie choreographs and tours with young artists globally & has represented Canada at 4 World Fair Expos and at the United Nations Conference in Beijing, China as Canadian Youth Ambassadors.
The young artists dance a progressive platform of peace, youth issues, the environment and human rights issues.
ARTIST IN RESIDENCIES
Using all dance disciplines, Susie teaches both directed and creative movement, through exciting ensemble work and dance literacy. Her choreography is inspired and driven by a global platform of youth issues (bullying/teen suicide) cooperative peaceful solutions, human rights and the environment. Susie demystifies teaching movement in the school environment through her collaborative process.
AVAILABILITY – Venue friendly, dance studios, artist havens, elementary & secondary schools, universities- locally and internationally. Susie is profiled in Artstarts in Schools – checkout this link – http://artstarts.com/artist-profile/susie-green
Susie has choreographed and taught master workshops for over 1.75 million young artists in schools in 14 countries. Susie’s projects are a special combination of her life work in choreography and her knowledge of movement patterns, and learning styles in children. Private and group lessons Susie choreographs and teaches at Dance Studios around the globe. AWARD WINNING dance pieces for local, national and international petitions and concerts.
YOGA FOR KIDS
ORFF MUSIC & MOVEMENT FOR KIDS
Susie is a Master Teacher for Carl Orff Canada (COC) and American Orff Schulwerk Association (AOSA) certifying Levels 1,2 & 3.
Marlowe Windsor, Director
Founded in 1992, Dance Co provides a wide range of levels and disciplines at both of their Vancouver locations to fit the needs of every dancer from beginner to advanced. Classes are available year-round and are taught by an experienced and dedicated faculty. Dance Co’s locations offer 14 professional studios with sprung hardwood and marley flooring as well as stunning uniforms & costumes created by the studio’s sewing department.
- Jazz, Ballet, Tap, Lyrical, Contemporary, Musical Theatre, Hip-Hop, Breakdance & Acro
- Recreational, Demi-Competitive, Competitive & Company
- Professional Half-Day & Graduate Training Programs
- Spring break & summer camps, advanced workshops & danceLab summer intensive held annually with international guest faculty & choreographers
Arbutus: 154-4189 Yew Street, Vancouver BC V6L 0B4
Fraser: 5780 Fraser Street, Vancouver BC V5W 2Z5
604.736.3394 • firstname.lastname@example.org
L’ÉCOLE DE DANSE DE QUÉBEC
Québec City, QC
Professional training in contemporary dance
Admission by audition
L’École de danse de Québec (L’EDQ) has established itself as a leader in teaching dance. Firmly rooted in Quebec city’s artistic community, L’EDQ distinguished itself by its respect for and trust in its dancers and by its dynamic synergy with the professional milieu.
Programme Danse-interprétation (3 years): Full-time Diploma of Collegial Studies in partnership with the Cégep de Sainte-Foy and accredited by the Ministère de la Culture et des Communications and the Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur.
Contemporary Dance Program (AEC – 3 years): Attestation d’études collégiales program – includes specific dance courses only.
An alternative for international students.
Programme professionnel de mise à niveau (1 year):
Offered to candidates preparing for professional dance training in
order to audition for the DEC or AEC program.
L’ÉCOLE SUPÉRIEURE DE BALLET DU QUÉBEC
Anik Bissonnette, O.C., C.Q., Artistic Director
Only francophone institution in North America to provide a professional ballet program
• Professional ballet training and academic program for students from Grade Five to third year junior college. Graduates receive a college diploma in classical dance and performance, which also leads to university.
• L’École supérieure is featured in the Cambridge University
Students’ Union 2015 Guide to Excellence alongside its high school academic partner, the Pensionnat du Saint-Nom-de-Marie.
• L’École supérieure has received the Outstanding School Award from the Youth America Grand Prix.
L’École supérieure offers also a Preparatory Program and a Recreational Program for children and adults.
PRO ARTÉ CENTRE
North Vancouver, BC
The Centre of Opportunity for Tomorrow’s Professionals
Professional 16 thousand square foot facility with 6 Dance Studios, 4 Academic Classrooms, Pilates Studio, Student Lounges and onsite Physio/Rehab Room
On-site academics Grade 5 & up with NIDES Public School District #71
Full Day & Half-Day Formal Programmes
• Classical Ballet • Contemporary Ballet • Contemporary Modern
Also After School Pre-Professional Programmes
ISTD & RAD Examinations, International & Provincial Competitions, Community Performances, Career Guidance, Holistic Training
Home of “CatchingART Contemporary Ballet Theatre” – Pro Arté’s Community Touring Company
PROFESSIONAL PROGRAM OF THE SCHOOL OF CONTEMPORARY DANCERS
Co-directors: Odette Heyn, C.M. and Faye Thomson, C.M.
- Professional post-secondary contemporary dance performance programme
- Nationally renowned faculty and guest choreographers and teachers
- Graduates performing professionally across Canada and internationally
- Affiliation with the University of Winnipeg: BA (Hons) in Dance available
- The School gratefully acknowledges the support of:The Government of Canada – Canadian HeritageThe Manitoba Arts Council, The Winnipeg Arts Council
QUINTE BALLET SCHOOL OF CANADA
QUINTE BALLET SCHOOL OF CANADA
Artistic Director, Catherine Taylor
Celebrating over 45 years, Quinte Ballet School offers a full-time professional training program from September to June.
Curriculum grounded in classical ballet technique within an inspiring, challenging and supportive environment.
Ballet, Pointe, Boy’s Work, Repertoire, Modern, Jazz, Hip Hop,
Conditioning, Flamenco. Performance opportunities; workshops.
Academic partnership for Grades 6 through 12 with Hastings & Prince Edward District School Board.
QBSC Homestay Families network available.
Summer Dance Intensive June 30 – July 20, 2019 /
June 28 – July 18, 2020
Professional Training Program by audition; Open Program available
Residence or Day student option
Recreation Division Two terms from September to June
Versatile dance instruction for all ages (3+). Year-end performance.
Dancing with Parkinson’s Program Certified Instructor.
Sep 2019 to Apr 2020. Thursdays at 11am.
THE PROFESSIONAL PROGRAM OF THE SCHOOL OF CONTEMPORARY DANCERS
Co-directors: Odette Heyn, C.M. and Faye Thomson, C.M.
• Professional post-secondary contemporary dance performance programme
• Nationally renowned faculty and guest choreographers and teachers
• Graduates performing professionally across Canada and internationally
• Affiliation with the University of Winnipeg: BA (Hons) in Dance available
• The School gratefully acknowledges the support of:
The Government of Canada – Canadian Heritage
The Manitoba Arts Council, The Winnipeg Arts Council
THE RICHMOND ACADEMY OF DANCE
CELEBRATING 32 YEARS
Producing Canada’s Most Exciting Young Professionals
New Program – Graduate Dance Collective 2016/2017
New Program – Graduate Dance Collective
- Home to BC Provincial Winners in Ballet, Stage, Musical Theatre and Voice since 1989
- Students have earned RAD Solo Seal, London Genée Awards and been Prix de Lausanne finalists
- Graduates dancing with world-renowned companies including National Ballet of Canada, Batsheva Dance Co., Cirque du Soleil, Alberta Ballet, Les Ballets Jazz de Montreal and many others
- Complete General and internationally-recognized Professional Divisions from Junior to Senior levels; year-round training and Specialized Summer Intensives
- Programs offered in ballet, jazz, tap, hip hop, musical theatre, lyrical, modern, contemporary, acting
- Vocal studio
- Pilates Studio, experiential anatomy and body conditioning
- Vaganova Technique, with all RAD Examinations offered
- Professional Half-Day & Evening programs ages 11-graduate
- Year-round performance opportunities
- 10,000 sq. ft of architecturally designed professional facilities
- Train with fully registered and highly qualified teachers whose
performance careers span the world’s leading companies
THE SCHOOL OF ALBERTA BALLET
Led by Artistic Director Edmund Stripe, the School of Alberta Ballet is the official training centre of Alberta Ballet, providing students with exclusive mentoring and performance opportunities.
• Full-time dance and academic training for students in
grades 7-12 (Residence available)
• Dance only option for grades 5-6
• Dedicated Contemporary Dance Stream for grades 10-12
• Financial assistance and scholarships
• Post-Secondary Programs
• Professional Graduate Program: A two-year, full-time program for post-secondary students requiring additional training before Alberta Ballet II.
• Alberta Ballet II: Bridging the gap between school and a professional career, ABII is a one to two-year, full-time, tuition-free program offering exclusive performance opportunities with Alberta Ballet.
• Open Division: intensive and recreational programming for ages 3-adult
• Summer Camps and Intensives
THE SCHOOL OF DANCE
Artistic Director: Merrilee Hodgins A.R.A.D.
Director of Ballet Studies: Mary Ross, Fellow and Examiner, CSC-CICB
Director of Contemporary Dance Studies: Sylvie Desrosiers BAV, C.Ed
- Celebrating 40 years of excellence in arts education in Ottawa, Canada
- Eight-year Professional Ballet Studies (ages 8-16)
- Three-year post-secondary Contemporary Dance Diploma Programme, approved as a vocational training program under the Private Career Colleges Act, 2005
- Performance opportunities in National Theatres
- Cecchetti Ballet Exam preparation
- Nationally renowned faculty
- Prominent Canadian guest choreographers and teachers
- Classes for children, teens, adults and seniors
- Ballet and Contemporary Summer Intensives
- DragonFly®, for learners with Down syndrome
- Connecting with Dance, designed for people with Parkinson’s
Admission to professional programmes by assessment and audition. Visit www.theschoolofdance.ca
THE WASHINGTON SCHOOL OF BALLET
Director: Lucienne Ancykowski
L.A. RUSSIAN SCHOOL OF BALLET
Ballet – Vaganova, Cecchetti, Character
Pre-School to Adults
Summer school in July
VANCOUVER BALLET SOCIETY
Operating out of Scotiabank Dance Centre in Vancouver, British Columbia. The Society, which turned 70 in 2016, offers an annual Spring Seminar Week Intensive, taught by internationally known dance artists/teachers, to students aged 11-18, selected by audition. Scholarships are awarded at the end of the seminar.
The not-for-profit Society, also offers 3-6 Master Classes annually with dance artists from visiting companies and maintains an archives and library open to the public.
VICTORIA ACADEMY OF BALLET
Bleiddyn Bellis FCSC-CICB, Enrico Cecc Final Diploma
PROFESSIONAL TRAINING PROGRAM
Intensive dance training program committed to helping students reach their fullest personal potential.
- Students are nurtured in an encouraging atmosphere with a
dedication to excellence.
- Ballet, Pointe, Repertoire, Pas de Deux, Contemporary, Jazz
- Summer Intensive
- Personal attention and guidance
BRIDGE PROGRAM (Post-Secondary)
A 3 year, PTIB designated, post-graduate Diploma program preparing dancers to pursue a career in professional dance. Students are encouraged to explore different aspects of professional dance life through the extensive program curriculum in a professional atmosphere.
- Ballet, Pointe, Repertoire, Pas de Deux, Contemporary, Jazz
- Guest Teachers, Choreographers
- Anatomy, Ballet History, Choreography, Career Exploration, Nutrition
Students are connected to avenues in the dance industry through individual advising and collaboration with knowledgeable and experienced VAB faculty and guest choreographers. Graduates are fully prepared for the next step on their career paths.