Ballet Schools & Academies
Artistic Director: Artemis Gordon, L.I.S.T.D. (C.S.B.)
Arts Umbrella’s Dance Program is internationally recognized for producing highly employable graduates who are dancing in companies around the world. The program features innovative, professional dance education that develops the whole dancer, stressing technical strength and artistic development in Vancouver, BC.
• International guest teachers and choreographers and
• Programs for dancers age 2 to 22, both professional and
• International Summer Dance Intensive.
• By audition: International Summer Dance Intensive,
Post-Secondary Dance Diploma Program with Vancouver
Community College, Professional Training Program (half-day Secondary academics), and Arts Umbrella Dance Company.
• Class include: Ballet with pointe, partnering and mens’ work, Contemporary, and Repertoire, with performance opportunities.
BALLET BLOCH CANADA
North Vancouver, BC
Artistic Director: Tracy-Lea Bloch L.I.S.T.D. & Gyrotonic
Classical Ballet & Contemporary Training
Ages 4 -17 yrs:
• Young Ballerina Classes
• Foundation & Professional Training Programs
• ISTD IMPERIAL Classical Ballet Examinations
• Half-Day Training for High School Students
• Gyrotonic® Expansion System & Pilates Training
• Onsite Physiotherapy Treatment
• Provincial and International Competitions
• Gala Performances (10-11 June)
• Summer School Intensives (15-16 August)
CAMERON ACADEMY OF CLASSICAL DANCE
OUR NEW STUDIO now at 20215 62 Ave. Langley will now be a Royal Academy of Dance Approved Venue (RAV)
Principals Deborah Cameron A.R.A.D. R.T.S. D.I.P. Lifetime member
Kelly Bennis R.T.S.
“Teaching a love of dance that lasts a Lifetime” through
inspiration, encouragement and knowledgeable training by dedicated staff mentoring students to achieve success professionally
or simply for recreational enjoyment.
• Proud of our many dancers with professional dance careers
• Specializing in Royal Academy of Dance Ballet – All Syllabi
• Contemporary/Modern, Jazz, Musical Theatre, Tap, Acro
Programs for Pre-school ages, Children, Adults and Professionals
• Examinations, Performances, Competitions, Summer Intensives & Children’s Theme Dance Camps
CANADA’S NATIONAL BALLET SCHOOL
Mavis Staines, C.M., DHumL, Artistic Director & CEO
Established in 1959, Canada’s National Ballet School is a world leader in the training of professional ballet dancers and teachers. Dedicated to excellence, NBS staff are an international group of talented instructors who adhere to the highest standards in training and development of the students’ abilities.
Professional Ballet Program:
• Full-time dance training, academic education and residential care for students in Grades 6 through 12
• Full-time dance training for post-secondary students
• Designed to take students from the earliest stage of intensive training through to the brink of a full-time
career in dance
Teacher Training Program:
• Recognized as a hallmark of excellence
• Prepares students for a successful dance teaching career
• Various programs available: three year diploma, two year diploma or one year certificate for professional dancers, five year joint diploma/degree with either Simon Fraser University or York University
• 100% of graduates employed upon completion of the program
• Opportunity to obtain Registered Teacher Status with the RAD; Associate teaching qualification with ISTD and/or Cecchetti Society
• Associates Program: after school and weekend classes for children ages six to 17 years
• Adult ballet
• Professional Development for practicing teachers
• Annual Teachers’ Idea Exchange opportunity in July
NBS graduates are always in demand and can be found as dancers, choreographers, artistic directors, teachers and administrators in over 65 dance companies worldwide and even more schools around the globe.
Admission for Professional Programs by audition.
CAUFIELD SCHOOL OF DANCE
Port Moody, BC
Internationally renowned performer, choreographer, and master teacher, Cori Caulfield, leads an expert and dedicated faculty.
• Ballet: R.A.D. Exam Preparation to Solo Seal
• Jazz/Lyrical • Tap • Modern/Contemporary
• Hip Hop • Acrobatics
• Musical Theatre • Singing • Acting
• Choreography and Pedagogy
Alumni accomplishments include: San Francisco Ballet Company, Josh Beamish’s MOVE: the company, American Ballet Theatre,
Miami City Ballet, and Ballet BC; Broadway; Television (including “So You Think You Can Dance” U.S. All-Star Alex Wong); music videos; feature films; top cruise lines; Cirque du Soleil; Prix de Lausanne winner; V.B.S. Scholarships including Top Student; World Tap Dance Championships including Adult Soloist; B.C. Provincial Title Holders in Dance: Ballet; Contemporary/Modern; Tap, Jazz & Stage; and Voice: Musical Theatre; and Classical.
Standard and Professional* Training Divisions and Performance Companies*
Summer: Intensives and Drop-in Classes in Ballet (3 levels), Pointe and Jazz/Contemporary Technique
Many performing opportunities. This is a great place to grow up.
* By audition and interview only. Half-day training optional.
FLORA PIGEAU DANCE ACADEMY
Home of B.C. Provincial Representatives since 1987
Artistic Director | Tyra Sergeant, R. T. S.
Celebrating 40 years of Excellence in Dance
Professional Training from Pre-School to Adult
We specialize in Royal Academy of Dance
• Classes offered in R.A.D. Ballet, Pointe & Variation,
Modern/Contemporary, Lyrical, Jazz and Conditioning
• Examinations, Festivals, Performances, and Summer Training
GOH BALLET ACADEMY CANADA
Be Inspired by Excellence and Unveil Your True Potential
Celebrating over 35 years as a premier dance academy in Canada and recognized internationally, the Goh Ballet provides extraordinary opportunities for young dancers to reach their full potential. From the earlier years to after-school training and advancing onto dedicated professional programs, students are prepared for a bright career. Integrated programs with a well-rounded curriculum and progressive methodology in Vagonova, R.A.D. syllabi, international guest instructors, innovative variety of choreographic styles and repertoire.
• Goh Ballet Youth Company Canada, Post-Graduate studies to bridge student to professional
• Senior Professional / Combined Academic with Professional Training Programmes
• Short Term, Goal Oriented Programmes
• Junior School, Afterschool & Pre Programmes
• International Summer Intensives / All Ages-July and August
Student Achievements Include:
• 1st Prize: Prix de Lausanne, Switzerland
• Gold Medals : Genée International Ballet Competition, England. Tanzolymp Festival, Germany. Wien Welt Wettbewerb, Austria.
• Alumni Careers: American Ballet Theatre, English National Ballet, National Ballet of Canada, San Francisco Ballet, among others
Admission by Assessment & Audition. Contact us for details.
HARBOUR DANCE CENTRE (Downtown Vancouver)
Vancouver’s Premier Dance Facility for over 30 years
Drop In Classes, Progressive Workshops and Intensive Training Program
Teens and Adults all levels Ages 16+
6 Classes per week for Ages 14+
INTENSIVE TRAINING PROGRAM Age 17 +
Directors: Moe Brody and Pamela Rosa
Programme runs from Sept – June each year
25 hours per week, individual mentoring
Intensive Dance Training, including Circus, Singing and Acting
Performance experience and technical training from a professional, talented and caring Team to take you to the next level
For Intermediate+ dancers
For Audition Dates: Penticton, Calgary, Victoria and Vancouver.Please see website for dates. Video submissions accepted.
ANNUAL SUMMER INTENSIVE:
Classes in: Ballet, Contemporary, Street Styles, Broadway, Tap+
Junior Summer Intensive for ages 10-16
Runs for 3 weeks in July
Adult Summer Intensive for ages 14-Adult
Runs for 2-3 weeks in July
5 Beautiful Sprung floor studios; Rentals; Private functions;
World Class teachers, over 100 Drop In classes per week
Directors: Pamela Rosa, Moe Brody, Sabine Clifford
JOY OF MOVEMENT STUDIO
ALL AGES – ALL LEVELS – ALL DISCIPLINES
Creator/Director Susie Green – Recipient of two – 2002, 2011 – Global Arts Awards, Los Angeles, for outstanding contributions to global arts performance and arts education internationally.
VISIONS DANCE COMPANY (BY AUDITION)
CANADA’S INTERNATIONAL YOUTH COMPANY has performed to 3/4 of a million students worldwide. Four world fairs and United Nations Conference in Beijing, China – Global platform of youth issues, peace, human rights and the environment.
Auditioning young artists for local single performances.
Please call or txt Susie Green (604) 836-6768 to arrange
audition time. Limited spaces available.
Artist in Residence at elementary & secondary schools and Universities – locally and internationally.
Choreographer/Teacher/Mentor at Dance Studios and Music studios for competition work including solos/duos/trios/groups – ORFF MUSIC.
Private lessons available.
Call or txt Susie Green (604) 836-6768
L.A. RUSSIAN SCHOOL OF BALLET
Director: Lucienne Ancykowski
Ballet – Vaganova, Cecchetti, Character
Pre-School to Adults
Summer school in July
L’ÉCOLE DE DANSE DE QUÉBEC
Québec City, QC
Professional training in contemporary dance
Admission by audition
• Dance-Performance Program in partnership with the Cégep de Sainte-Foy (DEC technique)
• Contemporary Dance Program (AEC)
• PPMN (professional training upgrading program)
• Dance-Studies, specific art project (Grades 7 to 11)
• Concentration in Dance (Grades 5 and 6)
L’EDQ offers also a recreative program for children and adults.
L’ÉCOLE SUPÉRIEURE DE BALLET DU QUÉBEC
Anik Bissonnette, O.C., C.Q., Artistic Director
Only francophone institution in North America to provide a professional ballet program
• Professional ballet training and academic program for students from Grade Five to third year junior college. Graduates receive a college diploma in classical dance and performance, which also leads to university.
• L’École supérieure is featured in the Cambridge University
Students’ Union 2015 Guide to Excellence alongside its high school academic partner, the Pensionnat du Saint-Nom-de-Marie.
• L’École supérieure has received the Outstanding School Award from the Youth America Grand Prix.
L’École supérieure offers also a Preparatory Program and a Recreational Program for children and adults.
PRO ARTÉ CENTRE
North Vancouver, BC
The Centre of Opportunity for Tomorrow’s Professionals
Professional 16 thousand square foot facility with 6 Dance Studios, 4 Academic Classrooms, Pilates Studio, Student Lounges and onsite Physio/Rehab Room
On-site ACADEMICS Grade 6 & up
Full Day & Half-Day Formal Programmes
• Classical Ballet • Contemporary Ballet • Contemporary Jazz
Also After School Pre-Professional Programmes
ISTD & RAD Examinations, International & Provincial Competitions,
Community Performances, Career Guidance, Holistic Training
Home of “CatchingART Contemporary Ballet Theatre” aspirant company experience
QUINTE BALLET SCHOOL OF CANADA
QUINTE BALLET SCHOOL OF CANADA
Artistic Director, Catherine Taylor
Quinte Ballet School of Canada (Belleville, Ontario) provides an innovative, versatile dance curriculum grounded in classical ballet technique. Our faculty are dedicated to providing an inspiring, challenging and supportive environment that nurtures talented young people towards a career in the dance industry.
• Full-time Professional Training Program (by audition), Sep-June
• Hastings & Prince Edward District School Board (academic grades 6 -12) affiliation
• Homestay Families Available (Summer Dance residency at Albert College)
• Summer Dance Intensive, July
• Professional Intensive Training-audition required
• Open Program – no audition required
• Recreation Division, Sep-June
• Wide variety of dance instruction for ages 3 to adult;
• R.A.D. Program available
SHIAMAK DAVAR INTERNATIONAL(CANADA) INC.
Canada’s Premier Bollywood Dance Company
Artistic Director: Shiamak Davar
Programs conducted by SHIAMAK dance instructors:
• SHIAMAK Bollywood Jazz: The spice of Bollywood combined with the energy of Jazz
• Shiamak’s Style: Indo contemporary and modern movement with influences of Indian classical and folk dance
• SHIAMAK Bollywood Workout: High energy Bollywood moves to Bollywood grooves
• Personal Training Program: One on one training for special occasions like weddings, birthdays or competitions
Dance Classes for all ages. Join our 3 month programs and perform on stage thrice a year.
THE PROFESSIONAL PROGRAM OF THE SCHOOL OF CONTEMPORARY DANCERS
Co-directors: Odette Heyn, C.M. and Faye Thomson, C.M.
• Professional post-secondary contemporary dance performance programme
• Nationally renowned faculty and guest choreographers and teachers
• Graduates performing professionally across Canada and internationally
• Affiliation with the University of Winnipeg: BA (Hons) in Dance available
• The School gratefully acknowledges the support of:
The Government of Canada – Canadian Heritage
The Manitoba Arts Council, The Winnipeg Arts Council
THE RICHMOND ACADEMY OF DANCE
CELEBRATING 30 YEARS
Producing Canada’s Most Exciting Young Professionals
New Program – Graduate Dance Collective 2016/2017
• Home to B.C. Provincial Winners in Ballet and Musical Theatre since 1989.
• R.A.D. Solo Seal, London Genée Award, Prix de Lausanne
finalists and graduates dancing with world-renowned
companies including the National Ballet of Canada,
Alberta Ballet, Batsheva Dance Co. Isreal and many others
• Complete Recreational and Internationally Recognized Junior- Senior Professional Programs.
• Ballet, Jazz, Tap, Modern, Lyrical, Hip Hop, Musical Theatre – Voice, Acting – ALL LEVELS
• Vaganova Technique, all R.A.D. Examinations
• Professional Half-Day Dance/Academic plus Full Evening & Graduate Programs
• Pilates Studio, Body Conditioning, Experiential Anatomy
• Year Round Performance Experiences
• 10,000 square feet of professional facilities
• Train with Fully Registered, highly qualified teachers whose performance careers span the world’s leading companies.
THE SCHOOL OF ALBERTA BALLET
Led by Artistic Director Edmund Stripe, the School of Alberta Ballet is the official training centre of Alberta Ballet, providing students with exclusive mentoring and performance opportunities.
• Full-time dance and academic training for students in
grades 7-12 (Residence available)
• Dance only option for grades 5-6
• Dedicated Contemporary Dance Stream for grades 10-12
• Financial assistance and scholarships
• Post-Secondary Programs
• Professional Graduate Program: A two-year, full-time program for post-secondary students requiring additional training before Alberta Ballet II.
• Alberta Ballet II: Bridging the gap between school and a professional career, ABII is a one to two-year, full-time, tuition-free program offering exclusive performance opportunities with Alberta Ballet.
• Open Division: intensive and recreational programming for ages 3-adult
• Summer Camps and Intensives
THE SCHOOL OF DANCE
Artistic Director: Merrilee Hodgins A.R.A.D.
Founded in 1978 by Merrilee Hodgins and Joyce Shietze, The School of Dance has an international reputation as a centre for excellence in arts education.
• Professional Ballet Studies | Director: Mary Ross, Fellow and Examiner, CSC-CICB
An eight-year study programme for students 8 to 16 years of age with performance opportunities in National Theatres.
Cecchetti Exam preparation.
• Contemporary Dance Diploma Programme | Director: Sylvie Desrosiers BAV , C.Ed.
A three-year post-secondary diploma programme, approved as a vocational training program under the Private Career Colleges Act, 2005, for intermediate and advanced dancers. Strong and versatile training with prominent Canadian Guest choreographers and teachers. Performance opportunities in National Theatres.
• Other Programmes include classes for children, teens and adults and the DragonFly Programme, for Learners with Down Syndrome.
THE SCHOOL OF TORONTO DANCE THEATRE
Artistic Director: Patricia FraserThe School is passionately committed to training and education
in the art of contemporary dance. Spend your day dancing with us!
Contemporary/Modern Summer Intensives
• Contemporary and Graham techniques, repertory/new creation
• Ages 13 and older
Professional Training Program
• Three year, full-time, post-secondary program
• Conservatory-style education with concentration on studio work
• Expert faculty, celebrated guest artists, extensive performing experience
• Joint program with York University can lead to B.F.A. in dance
Final Audition (for September 2016): July 16th, 2016
Auditions (for September 2017): February & July 2017
THE WASHINGTON SCHOOL OF BALLET
Washington, DC USA
Kee Juan Han, School Director
Co-founded in 1944 by the late Mary Day and Lisa Gardiner, The Washington School of Ballet (TWSB) is recognized nationally and internationally for its classical training and dedication to excellence in dance and dance education.
The Washington School of Ballet curriculum includes pre-ballet, boys’ classes, and a graded program for children through young adulthood, many of whom wish to pursue dance as a career. Students catch glimpses of The Washington Ballet rehearsals and can earn the opportunity to perform in company productions.
The school offers a Professional Training Program that brings together especially talented students from around the world for intensive training. The school also offers a Trainee Program that provides beneficial training upon entering the professional field and many performing opportunities with the Company.
Visit our website For more information about school auditions or summer intensive programs.
VANCOUVER BALLET SOCIETY
Operating out of Scotiabank Dance Centre in Vancouver, British Columbia. The Society, which turned 70 in 2016, offers an annual Spring Seminar Week Intensive, taught by internationally known dance artists/teachers, to students aged 11-18, selected by audition. Scholarships are awarded at the end of the seminar.
The not-for-profit Society, also offers 3-6 Master Classes annually with dance artists from visiting companies and maintains an archives and library open to the public.
VICTORIA ACADEMY OF BALLET
Bleiddyn Bellis FCSC-CICB, Enrico Cecc Final Diploma
PROFESSIONAL TRAINING PROGRAM
An intensive dance training program committed to helping students reach their fullest personal potential.
• Students are nurtured in an encouraging atmosphere with a
dedication to excellence.
• Ballet, Pointe, Repertoire, Pas de Deux, Contemporary, Jazz
• Summer Intensive
• Personal attention and guidance
BRIDGE PROGRAM (post secondary)
A 2 year, PCTIA registered, post-graduate Diploma program preparing dancers to pursue a career in professional dance. Students are encouraged to explore different aspects of professional dance life through the extensive program curriculum in a professional atmosphere.
• Ballet, Pointe, Repertoire, Pas de Deux, Contemporary, Jazz
• Guest Teachers, Choreographers
• Anatomy, Ballet History, Choreography, Career Exploration, Nutrition
Individual advising, career preparation and assistance from
experienced Academy faculty connect students to avenues in the professional field.